junoman

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

New Jersey Civil Unions

I guess I should be happy that civil unions have been granted in New Jersey, but I really feel its still not like having a marriage certificate. My partner and I have been together for 24 years this July. I met him when I was 21 and he was only the third person I ever had a long term relationship with. The first two were short relationships, one for six months and one for one year.
Around 1985 we decided to have a "union". We went to Dignity, mostly catholics who are gay and long for recognized unions. They interviewed us twice and asked questions that were so personal that we wondered what the hell we were doing. This was back in 1985 so I am sure things have changed, or maybe not. We found this Presbyterian minister who would perform our union and he also interviewed us two times but was much more interested in us as a couple then as separate people. The day of our union was really amazing and scary all at the same time. My parents were not invited, but the rest of my family was, so it was a huge secret. Years later i came to regret this and finally told my mom months before she died. she understood that I was trying to protect her, but from what I didn't know.
My friend who was a chef made a beautiful wedding cake and most of my friends wore a tux.
Many of the friends that were there have passed from Aids, so the whole memory seems bitter sweet. I don't think I will have another party but I do think I will have civil union performed with my partner. We talked about having a civil union at our 25 year anniversary. Marriage means that you receive your partners social security benefits, but civil unions don't. I think this is just
a show by the state to say we are offering something to gays and lesbians. One of the main reasons we never adopted is because the laws were so vague protecting either one the participants in a union. It was a big mistake by us, we really wonder what our lives would have been like.
Most of my friends now are not in any relationships, so when I have a situation with mine, I usually don't go to them for advice. I almost feel bad about mentioning anything to them since they are solo, they all think I am so lucky, and I am in may ways.
There is a mayor in Bogota, New Jersey who said he will not perform civil unions even though the law says he should, because of his religious beliefs. Guess what? His mayor ship should be terminated, if he cant perform his duties, get someone else that will. I am so sick of people using their religious beliefs for hatred and bigotry. As a community we have to fight these people all the way out of their jobs. Has he ever heard of separation of church and state? My job here is to see the next generation get their state given rights and I plan to do everything in my power to see that its done. I have had a belly full of these morons!! I know I am not alone.

1 Comments:

  • I very much like your civil unions post. I also noted your comment about Ann Coulter on joemygod. I am seemingly as outraged as you are about this whack-job. And I would so LOVE to see her in a restaurant and do exactly what you outline in your comment!! She seriously needs to be shut down! Keep up the good work with your blog!

    By Blogger Todd E., at 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home