junoman

Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Liberal and the Conservative

Saturday night I was invited to a dinner party in East Hampton, NY at the home of a couple I barely knew. She was a liberal democrat and judge and he was a conservative republican doctor for the defense department. I expected straight couples to be in attendance but was really surprised to find gay couples there. They are very much into the arts, and I should not have been surprised to see that along the way they adopted some gay people as their friends. I prejudged them and that was not very nice on my part.

I wondered how they managed to have a house worth a few million dollars home, and a kitchen that would make Julia Child sit up and take notice. She didn't know how to cook, so many of the guys jumped in and started creating some dishes for the night. It was quite funny explaining to her how her Wolf oven worked. She said "I definitely need to invite you guys to more parties".

I don't know how it happened but we got on the conversation of politics and he said he voted for President Bush in the last two elections for tax reasons. I guess that was a good enough reason for him but it really baffled me since we are at war and there are much large issues than taxes.
Its amazing that two people can coexist today with such different political views but they seemed to do just fine. My boyfriend and I fight over the slightest different political views and we are both liberals, so I cant imagine their situation.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home