junoman

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Lance Loud


Last night I had the weirdest dream of "Lance Loud". He was one the Louds, a family that served up some real reality TV back in 1971. He came out on the show and it made for some real good television. I remember I never missed an episode and once watching with my father, I could see how disgusted he was by the whole program. Airing your dirty laundry was not something he liked to do. I actually met Lance about three times in late 70s and 80s, I talked to him once outside a popular New York rock club called "Maxs Kansas City. Its possible I was the youngest person ever allowed in that club. Ever since I met I was taken with him, he seemed beyond cool. A person I knew Paul who was in a band was a very good friend of his but I never saw the two of them together. In the beginning of this summer I went to see Rufus Wainwright at Carnegie hall, it was quite a night, we sat in these tier boxes for 6 people, and I was right next to Christy Turlington (model). But the best part of the evening besides Rufus who I love, was seeing Pat Loud, Lances mother. She was right behind me on line and I wanted so bad to say hello but I resisted because I wanted to give her privacy. She kept looking at me and I at her but we both never said a word to each other. Lance died around December 2001 and I know for sure the documentary they did on him didn't touch the surface about his destructive ways. He had lost a lot of friends along the way or people who just couldnt keep up with him. When he died back in 2001, I started to realize how many gay people are so self destructive. In NY I had many friends addicted to crystal it was scary, thank god I never liked it or needed it.
RIP Lance

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home