junoman

Friday, January 04, 2008

Christmas Gift Not Wanted




This Christmas was spent at my sisters house in Holmdel, New Jersey. My mom is no longer with us and my aunt from my moms side is the only person living from my moms family.

We have always treated my aunt the way we would have treated my mom if she was still alive, but there is one difference, my mom appreciated us, my aunt does not appreciate us.

My sister gave my aunt a coat for the holidays and she put it in one of those Christmas bags you use when you don't want to wrap a box. My aunt pulled the coat from the bag and threw it on the floor and said "Thanks, but no Thanks". My sister was in shock, as was everyone in ear shot.
I noticied the entire day prior, as well Christmas day she was eating everything that had sugar in it. One big problem is that she is diabetic and I really believe this plays a huge part in her
being crazy that day. I know this is not an excuse, but it allows me to understand how dangerous diabetes is. Yesterday, I called her and she was still very defiant and would not back down.
I told her that she hurt my sister and they everyone in the family was in shock at her behavior. She was upset that i didn't see her side. I told her there are only two words that should be said when given a gift and they are Thank you.
Needless to say, guess who is out looking for a new gift that will appease her?
You guessed right! ME!

1 Comments:

  • That almost sounds like something Dorothy Parker would do. My grandmother was a diabetic, but is scrupulous about her diet (with occasional "cheating" during the holidays) and has never gotten "crazy" like this. Interesting that she didn't seem to be reasonable even a few days after the fact -- any chance that some form of dementia is also setting in? I hear that causes some major behavioral issues too.

    Thanks for adding me to your blogroll, by the way. I'll check out your site more frequently too.

    By Blogger Joe, at 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home